The exhibit galleries and research library will reopen on September 10.
New days and hours are:
Thursday & Fridays 10 AM to 3 PM,
Saturdays 10 AM to 5 PM.
Tickets must be reserved in advance to ensure social distancing.
Hennepin History Museum brings the diverse history of people in Hennepin County to life. We help people understand their world through an exploration of local history with exhibits, public programs, a magazine, and a public research library.
Founded in 1938 as the Hennepin County Historical Society, Hennepin History Museum is dedicated to bringing the diverse history of Hennepin County and its residents to life through exhibitions, library, collections, and educational programs. Our mission is to collect and preserve the history and stories of Hennepin County.
Hennepin History Museum was officially founded as the Hennepin County Historical Society in 1938, although it has roots extending back to the 1858 founding of the Territorial Pioneers Association.
The museum’s first home was located in St. Louis Park’s City Hall; in the 1940s, the expanding organization moved to a location on Harmon Place in the Loring Park neighborhood of Minneapolis.
In 1958, the Hennepin County Historical Society purchased the George Christian Mansion to house its growing collections. The space in the sprawling 44-room mansion gave the museum room to expand its education and exhibition programs, and to continue to add to its historical collections. In the 1980s, the organization’s name was officially changed to Hennepin History Museum.
We remain in the historic Christian Mansion, where we continue to offer the public a wide range of exhibitions, educational programming, and access to our extensive collections.